It’s hard to overestimate the versatility of modern SUVs. Being fast, powerful and good looking they also give you everything that a family minivan can offer in terms of utility and convenience for daily driving.
With all the versatility in mind, Chrysler engineers did not forget about the drivers who appreciate the good old-fashioned fun behind the wheel and went a little bit further by fitting their Durango R/T with their tried and tested 5.7L V8.
As a result, Dodge Durango RT represents the fusion of a convenient 3-row SUV and a typical muscle car with a V8 engine and aggressive design. It combines everything you’d want from an R/T Charger and a Grand Caravan in a far more desirable package. So what not to love if you’re a dad and need to take care of your family?
“It combines everything you’d want from an R/T Charger and a Grand Caravan in a far more desirable package”
Our today’s feature is dedicated to this awesome Durango R/T owned and modified by Ed Redmond, NJ who was kind enough to share his story with us and provide a detailed insight into the mods and upgrades on his neck-twisting build.
Some of the first things that catch your eye are the bright performance-inspired striping and low stance, achieved with the help of an air suspension and a set of wide Ferrada FT3 custom wheels sized 22×10.5.
“after Ed realised that his Durango build has a far bigger potential – the further modification process began”
The initial plan was to stop somewhere at this point, but after Ed realised that his Durango build has a far bigger potential – the further modification process began. Except for the visual mods he also took care about the power and installed a few nice bolt-ons that maximized the performance of his R/T.
How did you get into the muscle car scene?
– I have two kids and was looking for a family-size SUV that could fit the kids stroller’s without any issues. I test drove several different brands and knew the Dodge Durango was the one because of the size and power it had.
Why did you choose a Dodge Durango SRT?
– I chose the Durango because of the size, power and one of the best looking 3 row SUVs.
What inspired you to choose this modification style?
– I would say that just looking at other builds is what inspired me. I saw the potential that the Durango had with a few modifications and decided to start the build. I only planned to put lowering springs and wheels but once I started I got the itch to continue going.
What challenges did you face while putting it together?
– My biggest challenge is that this build is daily driven. It was really hard to find time to drop it off at shops to get work done.
What do you love about your car?
– I love that I have a build that not only looks sick (in my opinion) but that it is also my daily driven, grocery getting, family hauling car that the kids absolutely love.
Is it your daily or a weekend ride?
– Daily driven
Do you take it to local car shows or a race track?
– Local car shows and meets.
2016 Dodge Durango SRT Specs
- AFE Power CAI Hydrodipped in Carbon Fiber
- Black Ops Auto Works Strut Bar
- Billet Technologies catch can and other engine dress up in racing red metallic
- Borla S-Type cat back exhaust
- Engine cover hydrodipped in Carbon Fiber
- Air Lift Performance 3P Air management system with 4 gallon 5 port aluminum air tank
- Universal Air lowrider bags
- Viair dual 444c chrome air compressors
- Ferrada FT3 22×10.5
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S in 285/35/22
- Sarona Design front lip
- Sarona Design roof spoiler
- Sarona Design trunk spoiler
- Custom headlights done by LightingTrendz. Headlight housing blacked out with their flow series halos, demon eyes, and DRL’s.
- Performance hood upgrade
- Brembo SRT big brake kit upgrade
- Vinyl racing and pinstripes done by Wrap Specialties
- GridReady taillight Tint kit
- Luxus premium leather car mats
- Classy House Productions 3P GlowMount
- GridReady Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Emblem
- GridReady Cup Holder insert kit
What are your future plans for your Durango?
– No future plans. I’ve done everything that I wanted and it’s about time to start on a new build.
Anything else you would like to share about your car or about modifying cars in general?
– Everyone has their own style when it comes to modifying cars. My advice is to modify it the way you want without worrying what everyone else thinks. Do it for you and no one else! I can’t tell you how many times I get asked “Why are you modifying a Durango?” or “The red vinyl is rice!” Just do you!
Watch the progress and find out more about this Dodge Durango SRT project by visiting the Instagram profile of the owner: @granite_rt!
Stay tuned for more project reviews on MuscleCarDNA.com – Follow us on social media, and share this write-up if you enjoyed reading it!
Automotive journalist and technical writer with more than 10 years of experience. Specialized in aftermarket parts and performance modifications. Loves everything on four wheels and obsessed with modified muscle cars, both classic and modern.