If you ever found yourself awake at the witching hour, tossing and turning, dreaming of the perfect Fox Body Mustang street performance build – let me introduce you to your sleepless night’s desire, the apotheosis of muscle car modification.
Nestled in the garage of a particularly ambitious gearhead, a vibrant red Ford Mustang Fox Body reigns supreme; a street rod possessing a symphony of mechanical might that would put an orchestra to shame.
With meticulous effort, the owner of this automotive marvel has combined the very best of the aftermarket with his own custom enhancements, breathing life into a twin-turbocharged street rod that effortlessly blends mind-blowing performance with classic Fox Body aesthetics.
About the model
The Fox Body Mustang – a third generation member of the Mustang lineage that graced our roads from 1979 to 1993 – carries a distinctive 80’s flair that induces nostalgia-induced goosebumps in any car enthusiast. Such is the reverence held for this model, the reverberations of its design DNA have echoed through time, influencing the SN95 and New Edge Mustangs that followed.
“There’s just something about the Fox Mustang that makes it special: it’s drivable, balanced, nimble, and carries an impressive power-to-weight ratio with it’s 5.0 V8”.
“With a little elbow grease and some clever engineering, a FoxBody can be tuned into a road-hugging beast that would make Carroll Shelby himself nod in approval”.
The Feature Car
Emerging from this tapestry of history and potential is our feature car, a custom-built Fox Body Mustang equipped with a menacing Twin Turbo system. Powered by a 427w Dart SHP Block with 9.5:1 Compression, and Borg Warner S366’s Twin Turbo, this Mustang packs a punch that would make a heavyweight boxer flinch.
“this Mustang packs a punch that would make a heavyweight boxer flinch”.
Ultimate Header Clamps, a 4″ Intercooler, a Griffin Radiator, Mark VIII Electric Fan, and a slew of other high-performance parts combine to tame and refine this beast’s fiery heart. The Snow Performance Water/Meth Kit and the NX Express Nitrous System give it a sharp kick, turning the performance dial up to eleven.
Transmission & Drivetrain
The transmission and drivetrain didn’t escape the owner’s expert touch. A Lentech Strip Terminator 4R70W with OD and Precision Industries Torque Converter manage the Mustang’s raw power. The 8.8 Strange S-Trac Differential and 35 Spline Strange Axles keep the car grounded and balanced, while Stifflers Transmission Mount and DS Safety Loop lend an extra layer of safety.
A Maximum Motorsports Suspension, replete with HD Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Extreme Duty Adjustable LCA’s, Front Coilovers, and Rear Torque Arm Springs form the underpinnings of this steed, ensuring precise handling, even in the most extreme conditions. This, coupled with Koni Yellows Adjustable Shocks & Struts and Team Z K-Member and Front A-Arms, deliver an unparalleled driving experience, blending comfort and performance in perfect harmony.
Signature One Flagship 2 Piece Wheels with custom offsets, wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires, command attention. The Weld RT-S Wheels and Mickey Thompson ET Street R Drag Radials are the perfect combination of form and function, providing the necessary grip and stability to harness this car’s awe-inspiring power.
Though the exterior has largely been kept in pristine, original state (save for a cowl hood that hints at the beast beneath), the interior is a different story. A custom-made 2017 Mustang Steering Wheel presides over the cabin, coupled with 2014 GT500 Recaro Seats that provide comfort amidst the thrill of speed. SpeedHut Gauges keep the driver in tune with the beast, while the Alpine ILX-W650 and Alpine Type R 6.5″ Component Speakers turn the car into a concert on wheels.
Ford Mustang Fox Body Mod List:
Engine & Performance
- 427w Dart SHP Block 9.5:1 Compression
- Twin Turbo Borg Warner S366’s
- 3″ Downpipes Ultimate Header Clamps
- 4″ Intercooler
- Griffin Radiator
- Mark VIII Electric Fan
- Pro-M EFI Engine Managment
- Coil Near Plug Ignition
- FireCore50 Wires
- Trick Flow 205 11R Heads
- Trick Flow Box R Intake (Ported) Ed Curtis Custom Cam
- 90mm Accufab Throttle Body Pro-M Blow Thru MAF Sensor DynoMax UltraFlo Mufflers
- NX Express Nitrous System
- Snow Performance Water/Meth Kit
- DeatschWerks 1500cc Injectors
- Glennsperformance Sleeper Tank / Fuel Rail
- Glennsperformance FPR
- Jones Racing PS Pump
- TuffStuff 225amp Alternator
- Edelbrock Water Pump
- March Pulleys
Transmission & Drivetrain
- Lentech Strip Terminator 4R70W w/ OD Precision Industries Torque Converter
- Hurst Quarter Stick
- Remote Mount Transmission Cooler / Fan
- Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft
- 8.8 Strange S-Trac Differential
- 35 Spline Strange Axles
- Ford 9″ Ends
- Stifflers Transmission Mount / DS Safety Loop
- Maximum Motorsports Suspension
- HD Torque Arm
- Panhard Bar
- Extreme Duty Adjustable LCA’s
- Front Coilovers
- Rear Torque Arm Springs
- Caster Camber Plates
- MM Steering Shaft
- SN95 Spindles
- Koni Yellows Adjustable Shocks & Struts Team Z K-Member and Front A-Arms
- Signature One Flagship 2 Piece Wheels 19×8.5/19×9.5 with Custom Offsets
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires 245/35/19 up front and 275/35/19 on the rear
- Weld RT-S Wheels 17.4.5/17×10.5
- Mickey Thompson ET Street R Drag Radials
- Mickey Thompson Front Runners
- Brembo 4 Piston Front Brakes
- Full Tilt Boogie 13″ Rear Brakes Hydroboost System
- Custom Made 2017 Mustang Steering Wheel
- SpeedHut Gauges
- 2014 GT500 Recaro Seats
- Alpine ILX-W650
- Alpine Type R 6.5″ Component Speakers
Questions & Answers
Why did you choose a Foxbody Mustang for your project? Is there an interesting story behind it?
– No real cool backstory on the car, I just had enough money and stupidity to build what I envisioned as a streetcar, technically it is I guess, but if I could do it all over again I would have gone with an 8.2 deck and kept it naturally aspirated.
What was the most difficult part of the build?
– Trying to fight the heat created by the turbos has the biggest headache, there is no blueprint on how to do this, it’s trial and error and there was tons of error, I’ve pretty much sorted out all the issues.
What do you love the most about this car?
– What I love most is that it’s not like anything else you’ll see out there when you look below the surface, the engine, the interior, the wheels, the hood, nothing cookie cutter on this car.
In conclusion, the charm of the Fox Body Mustang lies in its blend of past, present, and future. Its unmistakable 80’s design makes it a time capsule, while its penchant for customization turns it into a canvas for gearheads to project their dreams onto. And in this case, those dreams have been realized in a symphony of steel, rubber, and roar – a twin-turbocharged wonder that has taken a legendary canvas and turned it into a masterpiece.
This Fox is Currently FOR SALE!
Now, hold on to your driving gloves because there’s an exciting twist in the tale. This custom-built marvel, this glorious testament to the art of modification, this very Fox Body Mustang, is up for sale. Yes, you read that right. If your heart’s pounding a little faster and your hands are itching to grip that custom 2017 Mustang steering wheel, reach out to the owner directly on Instagram @jhracingelectronics.
Stay tuned for more project reviews on MuscleCarDNA.com – Follow us on social media, and share this write-up if you enjoyed reading it!
Automotive journalist and technical writer with more than 10 years of experience. Specialized in aftermarket parts and performance modifications. Loves everything on four wheels and obsessed with modified muscle cars, both classic and modern.